Re: [OM] Cleaning oily films off of glass; washing wineglasses

Subject: Re: [OM] Cleaning oily films off of glass; washing wineglasses
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 19:59:20 -0800
on 1/31/02 1:04 PM, Joe Gwinn at joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Yes.  It's very hard to get glass (or china) really clean by hand washing,
> because one cannot use hot enough water if one uses bare hands.  I have had
> great success wearing medium-thick cotton-lined rubber gloves (Bluettes in the
> US, available only at hardware stores) and using water at 60 degrees
> centigrade (140 degrees farenheit), which is scalding hot, hot enough so the
> grease just vanishes.  A hot rinse is required to get all detergent residue
> off.
>
> In the US, many hot water heaters have been turned down to 120 degrees
> farenheit (49 degrees centigrade) "for safety", making it almost impossible to
> get glass clean.  The traditional setting was 140 degrees farenheit, and
> restaurants set the temperature to 150 or 160 degrees farenheit, to cut the
> grease.  I've heard of 180-degree hot water sprayers at special stations
> intended for cleaning deep-fat fryers.  With water this hot, one must be very
> careful.
>
> Bosch dishwashers wash and rinse at 140 to 160 degrees farenheit (60 to 72
> degrees centigrade), depending on the wash cycle chosen.  The rinse is often
> hotter than the wash.  The dishwasher heats the water itself, so the inlet
> temperature has no effect other than slowing things down if the inlet water is
> cold.
>

> I don't know that a lens would survive this kind of treatment, but it works
> great for 24 0.000000e+00ad wineglasses and the like.

I have a small amount of Waterford glass (different pieces) and the advice I
got was never wash these pieces in a dishwasher... the harsh soap and high
heat will leach the glass. I don't think I would risk a $30 glass in a
dishwasher...

For oily film or grease on an element I think I would look for a solvent
suited for oil or grease i.e. some kind of hydrocarbon distillate (naptha?
toulene? xylene?) although these might be difficult to find and require
special handling vis-a-vis fumes and skin contact and eye exposure. Remember
that many chemicals can be absorbed through the skin, with unforeseeable
consequences, and common rubber gloves might not offer protection for some
solvents.
--

Jim Brokaw