[OM] An introduction

Subject: [OM] An introduction
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 20:51:53 -0800
Cc: scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this list, but not to the Olympus OM cameras.
I've been shooting my two beloved OM-1's for over 20 years now, and
they have provided me with a panoply of stunning images. I recently
bought a new digital camera (Olympus C4040Z), and it rekindled an
interest both in 35 mm photography and my using trusty Olympus SLR's.
Both of these cameras have served me incredibly well, and my first
body, purchased in 1979 is now at CamTech for its first CLA.  I've
also developed into a genuine Zuikoholic of late, and have been
starting to accumulate new lenses to round out my collection. For
about 20 years now I've had the 50mm f/1.8, the 28 mm f/3.5 and the
75-150 Zoom. I have shot an amazing variety of images with just these
three lenses...everything from dance photography to landscape to
Formula 1 (using Kodachrome 64, no less!).

A little background: I work as a molecular biologist for a biotech
company in the South Bay Area, though I live in the East Bay, in
Albany, near Berkeley, CA. Spent ten years training as a classical
ballet dancer, then moved on to motorcycles and mountain biking. But
photography has always been special for me, and am enjoying my
renewed enthusiasm for it.

Like Mike Veglia, I am a true motorsports fan, and I've been shooting
motorsports for a long time, and have many very nice images ranging
from Formula Atlantic to IMSA to Formula 1 (Mike, some time I would
like to show you my F1 photos from Brands Hatch I took in the
mid-8O's...I have some very nice photos taken at Dingle Dell!) I am
particularly interested in photographing motorcycle racing (I used to
roadrace at Sears Point), and have taken some nice motorcycle racing
photos at Laguna Seca, including when the Grand Prix was there.
Lately, I am trying to accumulate some good "teles" because I want to
start doing more with my photography in this area. I recently
purchased a mint 200mm f/4, and have a 2X-A teleconvertor on its way
out to me. I am currently on the prowl for a 300mm f/4.5.

I also enjoy fine art photography,  and have done a range of photos
in that area over the years as well, both b&W and color (mostly
slides).

BTW, I played with the Olympus E20 at MacWorld a few weeks ago, and I
agree with Mike. The E20 is  a marvel...great ergonomics, nice
controls, light but robust build quality, and of course, a wonderful
lens. I saw an 11X14 photo of an Appalachian coal miner taken with
the E20 and printed on glossy paper by an Epson 1280, and it was
truly stunning. I was just knocked out!
The C4040Z is no slouch for that matter, either, though...here's two
of the first photos I ever took with it...a couple of grab shots I
took while walking between buildings one day at work.
These are at the next to the lowest res of the camera.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/image-display?photo_id=546922&size=md

http://www.photo.net/photodb/image-display?photo_id=549471&size=md

Okay, I've gone on long enough here...I will be perusing the digest
every day, and will post my 2¢ from time to time.

Nice meeting all of you...

-Stephen Scharf
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!