Re: [OM] Filters-- Do you use it?

Subject: Re: [OM] Filters-- Do you use it?
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <voop@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 10:11:13 +0100 (CET)
On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Jonathan tan wrote:

<SNIP>

>     Well,I think he is quite right and I think this is one of the most
> favourite question/dilemmas facing everyone of us everyday.
>
>     Do you really need UV/Skylight filters?I think they are just
> marketing idea.The often cited reasons for having them are to cut out UV
> light and protect the front lens element.I don't know of anyone who
> specifically wants UV light in any photograph so why don't lenses have
> the necessary coating to prevent UV light in the first place?

Well, I usually have a skylight (B+W, normally) on all my lenses. Not
because I believe that it will dramatically improve the image quality,
rather because it's cheaper to replace a filter than it is to replace a
front element of any of my lenses (hey: lens-caps can fall off). I don't
believe that it (for most shots) will degrade the quality significantly,
but when in controllable conditions, I do sometimes take the filter off.
And I never "stack" filters - that would just be begging for flare....

--thomas