Re: [OM] Filters-- Do you use it?

Subject: Re: [OM] Filters-- Do you use it?
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 06:45:15 EST

> Do you really need UV/Skylight filters?I think they are just marketing
> idea.The often cited reasons for having them are to cut out UV light and
> protect the front lens element.I don't know of anyone who specifically
> wants UV light in any photograph so why don't lenses have the necessary
> coating to prevent UV light in the first place?

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't use a filter. Other than wintry, cloudy,
cold, 'blue' days, when a Skylight can cut the blueness, I'm having doubts.
I'm leaning more and more to avoiding using them for two reasons-
1.- I just have a feeling it's somehow degrading the image. My Zuiko lenses
are squeaky clean and appear really clear and shiny, (the best i can describe
it, don't laugh, please) and every filter I've ever had just doesn't look as
'clear' as my lenses, even when just cleaned.
2.- I always bought into the idea of protecting the front lens element by
using a filter, but, I have to ask, unless you were rock climbing at the
time, how many people have actually smacked their front elements and made the
lens useless? I'll bet its like one in several million times when you take
into account how many times (total) we've all used each of our lenses. Maybe
I'm wrong, maybe people don't admit they broke their lens? What do Y'all say?

George S.