Re: [OM] Filters-- Do you use it?

Subject: Re: [OM] Filters-- Do you use it?
From: "Bill Owens" <wowens1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 06:56:30 -0500
I've pretty much quit using filters altogether, except for an orange or
yellow with B&W and often a polarizer for color.  Like you, I used to use
them to "protect" the front lens element, but decided  why create another
air/glass surface for the light to pass through.  Besides, I usually have a
lens cap on unless I'm shooting, so why bother with a filter.

Bill  KG4LOV
wowens1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't use a filter. Other than wintry, cloudy,
> cold, 'blue' days, when a Skylight can cut the blueness, I'm having
doubts.
> I'm leaning more and more to avoiding using them for two reasons-
> 1.- I just have a feeling it's somehow degrading the image. My Zuiko
lenses
> are squeaky clean and appear really clear and shiny, (the best i can
describe
> it, don't laugh, please) and every filter I've ever had just doesn't look
as
> 'clear' as my lenses, even when just cleaned.
> 2.- I always bought into the idea of protecting the front lens element by
> using a filter, but, I have to ask, unless you were rock climbing at the
> time, how many people have actually smacked their front elements and made
the
> lens useless? I'll bet its like one in several million times when you take
> into account how many times (total) we've all used each of our lenses.
Maybe