Re: [OM] Filters-- Do you use it?

Subject: Re: [OM] Filters-- Do you use it?
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 14:22:40 -0600 (CST)
On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 12:56:14 EST, ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:

>bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>

>> But the crux of the matter is that the presence or absence of a uv or
>> skylight filter will never be the make or break factor in a
>> photograph.

>I'm not so sure I'd agree to 'never' will be the make or break factor. We
>could all then apply that logic to our Zuikos- why bother with Zuikos when
>you can use a $20 Soligor lens?

I think there's a lot more difference between a good lens and a bad
lens than there is between a good lens with a filter and a good lens
without.

> I'm just skeptical that a filter will be 1000n-noticeable when I
>want it to be. (IOW not when I _want_ a filter effect).

I'm not arguing its a complete non-factor. I'm arguing that it is a
very minor factor. If you catch a picture of Osama Bin Laden and
Elvis riding the roller coaster together at 6 Flags, no one's going
to notice that the contrast is off just a hair.

-
B.B. Bean                                       bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bean & Bean Cotton Co
http://www.beancotton.com