Re: [OM] Filters-- Do you use it?

Subject: Re: [OM] Filters-- Do you use it?
From: "tOM Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 16:44:21 -0500
On Friday, February 01, 2002 at 14:22, Barry B. Bean
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "Re: [OM] Filters-- Do you use it?" saying:
> I think there's a lot more difference between a good lens and a bad
> lens than there is between a good lens with a filter and a good lens
> without.

>From the past...

    Re: [OM] Autocollimator tests on filters

    Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 23:22:59 -0800
    From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Subject: Re: [OM] Autocollimator tests on filters

    Ron S. writes:

    << I noticed no mention of any B+W glass.  Obviously, pricey but I'm
    curious how they would stack up? >>

    Some months ago I tested the filter sets I use on a regular basis.  I
    threw out the rejects, but here are my passed ones:

    58mm
    Hoya G(X1)
    Hoya Polarizer
    Tiffen Deep Yellow 15
    B&W 81A
    Hoya Y(K2)
    Hoya R(25A)
    Hoya O(G)

    55mm
    Olympus V28(Y2)
    Cokinlight Circular Polarizer
    Hoya R(25A)
    Hoya 81A
    Vivitar VMC 80A

    49mm
    Hoya FL-W
    Kenko ND4
    Hoya G(X0)
    Hoya O(G)
    Hoya HMC R(25A)
    Hoya G(X1)
    Tiffin 81B [marginal]
    Vivitar Polarizer (thin)
    Olympus L39(UV)
    Tiffen FL-D
    Hoya FL-Day
    Vivitar VMC 80A
    Vivitar VMC 85B
    Tamron 82A
    Vivitar VMC 81A

    I distinctly recall throwing away brands and types within brands
    (example, Vivitar VMC) that marketing would lead us to believe are
    "premium."  Others who have tested have uncovered a fair share of bum
    Nikon filters.  I say it isn't the brand as much as it is quality
    control.

    Gary Reese
    Las Vegas, NV

tOM
--------------- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Olympus-Documentation
tOM Trottier,   ICQ:57647974    http://abacurial.com
        758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115 N45.412 W75.714
"The moment one gives close attention to anything,
even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious,
awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself --
Henry Miller, 1891-1980