RE: [OM] Bellows?

Subject: RE: [OM] Bellows?
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 16:25:48 -0700
>  http://cgi.ebay.ca/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1329898326
> I am thinking about getting a bellows.  Is this too high a price for what
it is?

 Looks like a reasonable starting bid, certainly, though without knowing
what the reserve is it's hard to tell. Camtech has a LNIB used bellows for
$199, 38/3.5 macro lens averages at $239 according to skipwilliams, and the
slide adapter isn't free.

> Is a 35mm macro lens (included) good for slide reproduction and other
work?

 Never used one, so I can't really comment; I'm sure someone else on the
list has, though.

> What else would I need to get to make this a good macro set-up?

 Depends on what you want to do in terms of macro stuff. If you're going to
be photographing things indoors that you can position conveniently, you're
fine as it is (possibly some lights, but you should probably experiment to
see what you need there).

 If you want to photo things outside/things that aren't well located
(flowers, say) then you'll probably be better off with extension tubes/one
of the 1:2/1:1 macro lenses out there -- using a bellows handheld will be
_no_ fun, and even on a tripod it's pretty fiddly, though I'm sure
manageable if you're more persistent than I am.

 -- dan