Re: [OM] Long Focus vs. Mirror Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Long Focus vs. Mirror Lens
From: "Donald MacDonald" <Donald.MacDonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 13:52:55 -0000
Paul Connet wrote:

Snip>
I think we are giving the mirror lenses a bum rap in general.
<Snip>

I agree with Paul. I bought a *very cheap* Centon 500/8 mirror after it came
out tops in an Amateur Photographer test. It lacks contrast, certainly (less
of a problem than it might be - it needs light and I shoot Kodachrome) and
is a bit soft, but I bought it at a time when I had nothing longer than the
150 on my 75-150 zoom. And did I mention it was cheap?

It came with a case including three filters (Skylight, ND2 and ND4) and cost
about 70UKP.

I use it about three times a year, and might use it less now that I have the
300/4.5, but I'm hanging on to it.

I took a shot with Marc Simon's 500/8 while we were at Botrange, using Gary
Edwards' tripod, and it was sharper and had more contrast. But of course,
you get what you pay for.

Donald (who has one TOPE shot taken with his 500/8).

Donald Neil MacDonald BA DipLIS
www.bigmac1st.freeserve.co.uk