[OM] Finding the silver in blacknode lenses

Subject: [OM] Finding the silver in blacknode lenses
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 10:31:06 -0500
At 3:17 AM +0000 2/2/02, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 14:41:01 -0800
>From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] Filters-- Do you use it?
>
>I'm sure a little careful work with a mild abrasive tool would result in
>silvernose filters.
>
>Moose
>
>AG Schnozz wrote:
>
> >Most importantly, if I put filters on my lenses, the silver
> >noses wouldn't show.  Can't have that.

I'm assuming that this is all in jest, but just in case:

Methylene-chloride based paint stripper (5F5 in the US) will take the black
paint off without damaging the underlying metal, which is aluminium.  However,
I would expect that the metal is frosted (not polished) to allow the paint to
adhere to the metal more strongly.  Polishing aluminium is possible, but not
necessarily easy.  One must use the correct abrasives; I don't recall which
abrasives are correct.  A book on metal finishing would be helpful here.

Joe Gwinn