RE: [OM] Irony of discontinuing of the OM series

Subject: RE: [OM] Irony of discontinuing of the OM series
From: dolphans1@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 16:08:14 +0000
Tris,

It all comes down to supporting the product, and IMO,
Olympus is strategically abandoning it's product. When
you stop to think about it, Is digital really that much
easier to use or even better to use?

A digital camera eats up a lot of batteries, then you
have to store or archive the photo's somewhere. For the
novice photographer, you have to re-learn the way you
shoot photography, when shooting digital.

In 10 years, which is closer and will get here sooner
than you think, Olympus will discontinue parts for the
OM-4T. I'm am also sure they will discontinue service,
and if so, what will you do when a "circuit board" goes
out and has to be replaced on your 4-T? Use as a parts
or donor camera?

IMO, it comes down to a "respect" issue and "morality"
issue. Olympus could donate the parts or lease the name
out to a company that would be interested in keeping the
classsic alive. Instead, they have chosen to abandon the
product and throw the parts away in some land-fill, IMO.

How great is digital anyway? Every few months the
digital camera you just purchased has become absolete
and out-dated, like so many computers we've become
familiar with.

Our society has become a throw-away society, which
appears to be only interested in the making the mighty
dollar, and that's what I believe is the real reason
behind the discontinuation of the OM series line.
Unfortunately!

Sam....