Re: [OM] Extension tubes (was Bellows?)

Subject: Re: [OM] Extension tubes (was Bellows?)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 13:11:48 +0000
At 03:10 2/2/02, you wrote:
>I was curious as to the quality of non-Olympus extension tubes.  I've
>seen tubes on KEH and evilbay and the Oly ones seem to be about three
>times as expensive, usually about $50 a pop.  But then I've seen evilbay
>Oly tubes go for $17. I'd like to get a set, but wondered what they're
>worth, and if off brand tubes have any problems.
>
>Corey

They don't come in beautiful, velvet-lined boxes, each with it's own little
instruction sheet :)
AndrewF

The Vivitar AT-21 set does come in a hard leather [??] case with a snap cover. Mine was bought used. Although the previous owner didn't ditch the case, the instructions were missing and the oval JMDC stickers had been removed.

The OM tubes are made much like the lenses with hardened flanges. The "hole" down the center of the tube is slightly narrower on the Vivitar set. If you intend to use it with a lens that has a rear protruding element, check fit first (may interfere with the mechanicals holding the rear element). There is no additional light loss with any lens I've used on them though. The Vivitar AT-21 [auto] tubes look to be aluminum with fewer parts, but in use they work just as well and seem just as sturdy. I found the Vivitar set for a superb price while I was biding my time for good prices on the OM Auto Tubes.

-- John