[OM] the 28/2 saga

Subject: [OM] the 28/2 saga
From: Chris Waigl <chrisw@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 02:34:28 +0100
Dear Zuiks,

I've been much more lurking than posting here (and enjoyed the
list very much). Now I'd like to share some strange relationship
I have with ... the Zuiko 28/2.

I'd been taking pictures with a used Canon EOS and just two
lenses (50mm and 85mm) for a year or two, and was coming to
the conclusion that a) autofocus is not really necessary for
me, b) current AF equipment is expensive, even used and
c) plastic cameras seriously lack the charm of older gear.

So I watched and read and looked into Pentax and Minolta MD,
but being very short on money, it never came to a purchase.
Until the day when a nice little decently-priced set smiled
at me out of the used gear display: A battered OM-4, a 50/1,8
and... a 28/2. Now, of course, I had become quite desperate
for a commonplace wide-angle lens.

Well I couldn't resist, and bought. Took pictures on the
way home. The 50 was as good as I expected (i.e. excellent),
but the 28 blew me away. Sharp, contrasty, a pleasure to handle.
Here some snaps I took on that way from the store to my home:
http://mapage.noos.fr/imageries/gobelins1_2001_2.jpg
http://mapage.noos.fr/imageries/gob630_2001_2.jpg

But the relationship with the 28mm ended fast and sadly: The
aperture blades were stuck, the store sent the lens on warranty
to a repair place. They diagnosed: Not just oily blades, but the
aperture mechanism had gotten out of alignment from a shock.
The repair would have been more than I paid for the lens, so
they didn't do it on warranty, refunded me the price of the lens
(i kept and love the rest) and told me, the lens would be
"destroyed". I begged to give me the lens, or to sell it to me
for a low price, but to no avail.

I fear I never got over it. Used a Tamron 28/2,5 for a little
while, which is disappointing in sharpness and contrast.

Until today. In a used camera store, my eyes hit a ...
Zuiko 28/2. This one has a silver nose. And is priced at
130€ (note, if you don't see the EUR sign, make your reader
iso-8859-15 capable), i.e. about $110. On closer inspection,
the aperture blades are oily, and the aperture is slow to
open. But the vendor, who also repairs cameras, will fix
this by Monday. It even comes with an original metal shade.
So .... I do have to get this one, don't I? Please someone
tell me to be reasonable and to save the money?!

(Any comments on silver nosed 28/2 lenses are highly
appreciated.:)

Chris W.

--
chris waigl

     I am now prosecuting some things with an engine I formerly
     writ to you of.            (Robert Boyle, to Hardlib 1659)