Re: [OM] Christopher Anderson's pages from Kentucky

Subject: Re: [OM] Christopher Anderson's pages from Kentucky
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 21:21:24 +0000
At 19:57 2/2/02, Brian Swale wrote:
Hi folks,

Last night for the second time I spent nearly an hour looking at the images of Christopher Anderson of Kentucky, at

http://www.darklightimagery.net/index.html

Many, many great shots, mostly with OM gear. I'm picking that he has
followed the advice of John Shaw, as the results are similar (but better - I
think Christopher has brighter colours).

[snip]

Had to see for myself when you said he "followed the advice of John Shaw." Excellent photographs, and very pleased that Anderson has his own style. "Reverse engineer" the techniques for some basic methods. Note also he religiously uses a tripod!

The cavern photography is impressive. I've wanted to try some, but the limestone caverns around me are *very* protected and sensitive environs. The ones found around here are limestone and can very easily be damaged just by touching the cavern surface. Oil from the skin plugs up the limestone "pores" and the cavern stops "growing." It requires very special coordination to conduct serious photography inside one.

An aside:
All too often it's not John Shaw's advice that's used, but his photographs emulated. I've seen this happen in shows and exhibits. If it's juried and the juror(s) realizes it (much more often than not), the critique usually reflects it; the kinder ones merely cite "lack of originality."

-- John