Re: [OM] International trading.. was 8mm fisheye on the evil one

Subject: Re: [OM] International trading.. was 8mm fisheye on the evil one
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 20:08:12 +1100
>You're right in principle Garth: the international hassle factor
>should be borne by the buyer.  However, I have sold to 2 US
>customers, one in in FL and one at Ramstein in Germany (military) and
>neither understood how to send me funds in UKP.  It was very
>frustrating (especially when I agreed to register with P*yP*l) and I
>ended up bearing the hassle of finding out how to accept USD.  It
>won't happen again of course... I will merely relist the item with a
>comment in feedback.
>
>On a more postive note, Julia and I saw "Iris" at the cinema last
>night.  It was a lovely film and very uplifting (Iris Murdoch,
>wonderful English writer who died last year (?) after years with
>Alzheimer's Disease).
>
>Chris

Currency is a commodity these days - as I live with a very minor currency
indeed I'll take anything but the zloty and conversions aren't too tough
(find a bureau de change - I can get or exchange most major currencies for
a US$3 fee but only notes higher than $10 equivalent). Anyone tried using
traveller's cheques? My bank accepts International Money Orders in most
currencies for a very small exchange fee but makes me wait 20 working days
for clearance (after all, Western Union 'might' go belly up, hey?). I can
get much more for most things from North America or Europe than I can
locally, with a few odd exceptions so it's worth the trouble. For example,
I was reading an account by an Australian who dropped into the last Fort
Worth show. He thought the prices seemed about right and consistent with
those in Oz until he realised that was looking at USD - almost double the
rate of here!
Buyers bear the hassle but are often a bit insular and may have to be
helped/educated - like the one I had who was quite annoyed that the item
hadn't arrived within three days of BidPayment!
Oh, and Iris was a philosopher who only wrote novels to get her ideas
across, OK?!
AndrewF
(PhilOLYsophy SubGroup)