RE: [OM] Irony of discontinuing of the OM series

Subject: RE: [OM] Irony of discontinuing of the OM series
From: dolphans1@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 17:49:43 +0000
Well Allan, I guess that?s where we'll agree to disagree
on. I feel a corporation does owe its "loyal" customers
an obligation to support its product.

Do you not feel that if you purchase a product, you
should be able to service it within a "life time"? ( I
know, what is considered a lifetime?)

I understand the ramifications of how the law affects
this issue and how bankruptcy law affects corporations.
There are "statutory" constraints that offer protection
to consumers.

On the flip side of it, I also understand the "right" of
a corporation to be in business to make money. This
makes common sense.

I just feel, IMO, that a company owes a moral obligation
to its customers. "They" (companies) should support
their products for a "reasonable" amount of time. (We
could probably argue what is considered to be
a "reasonable" amount of time.)

I do not agree with the "policy" of dumping good camera
parts into a landfill as being one of them, if this is
even true. If so, this ?policy? prematurely exasperates
or accelerates the OM's series demise.

In my opinion, the OM series is a classic camera line.
Why let it die? To become a collectable or to be forced
to switch to digital?

Olympus could out-source or licenses out its classic
line parts, to another corporation who may be interested
in supporting it.

I guess in the end, ?we? as consumers, do have some sort
of recourse, we can always walk away from those products
and go elsewhere. Perhaps ?brand loyalty? is no loner
important in today?s corporate culture.

Just my opinion and ideas?.

Sam?.