RE: [OM] Irony of discontinuing of the OM series

Subject: RE: [OM] Irony of discontinuing of the OM series
From: bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 12:03:37 -0800
At 10:12 AM 2/3/02 -0800, Scott G wrote:

>Imagine the good will (and good press) that could be generated by providing
>the engineering drawings, remaining spares stock and perhaps tooling to a
>users-group of OM owners. Whether donated, sold at "profit," or sold at
>"cost," it seems to me that it would be a PR win, if nothing more.

Following this line of reasoning take a look at the aviation industry. Many
aircraft types are many, many years out of production. Tooling, spares etc
etc have been bought up on occasion by "users groups" who then try to make
parts available -- it is generally a nightmare, frequent suppliers going
out of business cause there ain't no money in it and if they figure out how
to make a buck the users groups scream about gouging. "Consumers" in
general have unrealistic expectations about costs/prices etc and have NO
idea just how expensive production can be -- they learn qucikly once they
get into the mess.

Barry H