Re: [OM] the 28/2 saga

Subject: Re: [OM] the 28/2 saga
From: Chris Waigl <chrisw@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 21:22:48 +0100
Le Sun, 03 Feb 2002 00:27:44 -0800, Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
écrivit:

>Chris -- "You have to get this lens."

Well, then I must. :)

>There, I told you. That is a very very good price for this lens, especially
>if they will clean the aperture blades included for that.

I hope (and think) it will be included. After all, they'd have to
repair a defective lens on warranty (6 months). I checked the aperture
and it closed down fine but was slow to reopen. There was oil visible
on two of the blades. The vendor was surprised (or pretended to be --
the used equipment is supposed to be tested and in good working order)
and promised me to take the lens apart and clean it right away. When
I returned just before closing time, the blades were clean and dry,
but he hadn't had the time to put the front element back again.
Tomorrow morning, I'll give them a ring. Keep your fingers crossed :) .

>I didn't see any
>problem with the pictures you posted from the old lens, so I wonder just
>what the motive was in the store taking the 'defective' lens back.

The pictures don't have any fault. That first lens stopped down fine,
but to get the aperture back open again, I sometimes had to shake
it. At first the shutter and mirror shake was sufficient to get
the diaphragm open again. But the problem was clear from the first day.
It was the first time I had come across an aperture problem with
a used lens, so I thought it might be oil. But it was stuck and got
unstuck suddenly, which is quite different from what oily aperture
blades look like.

>Buy it, or let me know where it is if you don't!

It's in Paris, 11th arrondissement, bd Beaumarchais :) . I guess
I'll be there a bit faster (if only I could be sure to get away
from work early enough before closing time tomorrow, that is...)

Chris W.

--
chris waigl

     I am now prosecuting some things with an engine I formerly
     writ to you of.            (Robert Boyle, to Hardlib 1659)