RE: [OM] Anybody have a 28mm?

Subject: RE: [OM] Anybody have a 28mm?
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 15:06:45 -0800
Hi Josh,

I'll let those more versed in the various lenses than I explain that part to
you. I will comment regarding faster lenses: If you need one often enough,
then a fast lens of a given size is worth the money. However, bear in mind
that you'll often pay double--or more--to get what is sometimes as little as
one-third stop faster. Might be cheaper to "compensate" (as well as more
useful overall) to use a tripod and adjust exposure where possible and where
the lens isn't going to be fast enough, otherwise. You may also find that
using a slower, les expensive lens of a given focal length allows you to
judge whether its usefulness to you is worth the additional price of
obtaining the faster version.

Bokeh, refers to the appearance of the out-of-focus elements in a
photograph. A Japanese term, originally. Good bokeh = smooth blended
out-of-focus elements. Bad bokeh = harsh (or perhaps specifically-shaped, as
in the rings generated by mirror lenses) out-of-focus elements.

See also: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/bokeh.htm

Which site also has some great articles on exposure and many other subjects.
A list of articles is here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/table_of_contents.htm

---
Scott Gomez