[OM] Saturday Sports Shooting

Subject: [OM] Saturday Sports Shooting
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 20:51:57 +0000
Or, Yet Another Use for the Forgotten 135mm f/2.8 Zuiko.

The guy in the office next to mine has a son who won his high school sectional wrestling championship and moved up to the regional tornament. [For those not in the U.S. (and perhaps some who are), H.S. and collegiate wrestling is much, much, much different than the fake professional crap on television.] He has been photographing his son using a digital with some success, but has to move in as close to the mat as allowed due to zoom limits on his camera. Unfortunately, the school hosting the regional tournament prohibits all but referees, coaches and team members from being on the floor, and the (normally basketball) gymnasium in which it is held is a "bowl" design with the floor set down about ten below the upper level of stands in which the spectators, photographers included, were relegated.

Suffering from "cabin fever," not having run a roll of film through any of the cameras recently, not having any adult supervsion (wife is out of town), and knowing he would have trouble with his zoom limits, I packed up the gear and went out to photograph his son in the tournament. Film selection was the tough part. Using negative film was the easy part; this was destined for prints. I would have liked to use Portra or Supra, but also knew a higher ISO 400 speed would be necessary; I might not be able to use any flash. Kodak's Pocket Photoguide "Available Light" section shows indoor gymnasia typically require 1/60th @ f/2.8 using ISO 400 films. Granularity of Portra and Supra at that speed can show in large prints. Thought then about the "timeless" quality B&W film can have. Tri-X, while a classic and normally my first choice for B&W portraiture, was eliminated due to its granularity. Settled on TMax 400 after comparing Kodak's data sheets among Portra, Supra, Tri-X and TMax.

Debated about lenses with the need for lens speed to shoot available light if necessary and minimize DoF and considered the 85/2, 135/2.8 and 200/4 telephotos. The 200/4 would be difficult, at best, hand held and I wasn't willing to try it at 1/30th; too shaky. Took the 85/2, 135/2.8, OM-1n and OM-2S each with 50/1.4 "body caps, Winder 2, Metz 40MZ-3 with slip-on soft box, the Metz G16 grip and spare cells for the flash. It packed up very nicely in the Tamrac 608 bag.

When I got there, Kodak's Pocket Photoguide again proved to be very accurate. At f/2.8 the center of the gymnasium floor metered about halfway between 1/60th and 1/125th and about 1/60th nearer the edges. Saw several local press photographers set up for flash use, didn't see any prohibition in the printed program, and attached both Winder 2 and G16 onto the OM-2S (its metering agreed with the OM-1n's). Slipped the soft box on the MZ40 to spread light around as much as possible. Might not be totally effective in a gymnasium, but worth a try. The flash would help "stop action." Then I tried lenses. The 135/2.8 proved perfect for plucking out the inner center ring of the wrestling mats; set it at f/4 to keep shutter speed under 1/60th.

An OM-2S with a winder and potato masher containing 8 "AA" cells and 4 "C" cells is much bigger and heavier than an OM body alone. The compact size and weight of the OM-2S and 135/2.8 Zuiko helped keep the bulkiness down to a manageable level. The 200/4 or a 180/2.8 would likely be more length and greater bulk than can be handled easily for action sports without some support with a winder and "potato masher" flash. [Not that I wouldn't like to have a 180/2.8!] The high power the Metz MZ40-3 with a soft box was more than sufficient at the longer working distances. The fast recycle time on a G16 grip with "C" cells helped with rapid shooting.

Sadly, his son was eliminated in the first round. The way the tournaments are set up through at least the regional titles, one *must* win the first match and then one out of the next two in order to advance to the next level tournament. He wasn't alone though. There were a good number of "upsets" in the first round. How the participants are seeded can make a difference. Due to processing turn-around time I must wait a week to see how badly my inexperience with shooting sports shows in the photographs. It will also be interesting to see how the TMax 400 looks overall for this type of photography.

Indoor sports hand held is yet another use for the forgotten fast 135/2.8 Zuiko.

As an aside:
When it was over I put the OM-1n body on the winder and switched the Metz from TTL to Auto using the sensor on the Metz. Discovered light from the "soft box" affects the flash sensor on the flash, an effect I believe Acer may have suffered recently using a home-made one on a T-32. Glad I didn't pluck the OM-1n from the bag to use this time and at least I now know that with the soft box it needs to be used with the OM-2S or OM-4 in TTL mode.

-- John