Re: [OM] Saturday Sports Shooting

Subject: Re: [OM] Saturday Sports Shooting
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 22:27:32 +0000
At 02:44 2/4/02, Mike Darling wrote:
At the first match i covered there was a photog using Nikons and what i can only guess was a remote strobe. He didn't have any on-camera flash, but a small radio transmitter high on his neck strap. I can only guess he had OTF, TTL, and a couple more acronyms in use at the time.

My first thought was two-way communication with someone in the press box who can see the entire floor directing his activities. I'm presuming you saw a strobe go off from somewhere whenever he fired the shutter. If so, he must either be a host facility staff photographer or have coordinated with the host facility well beforehand. I'm thinking this would require setting up multiple strobes to cover everywhere in the arena.

Using multiple remote flashes is nothing new:
"One Shot Charlie" (Charles Hoff) who shot sports for the New York Daily News and became famous for his boxing photography used multiple high powered flashbulbs surrounding the boxing ring; not something the folks who now televise the events would want anyone to do. He also used a specially rigged 8x10 view camera. The practical limits on reloading multiple flash bulbs and the inherent film burn rate limits using an 8x10 view camera are quite severe; it earned him the "One Shot Charlie" moniker as he used very, very little film compared to his contemporaries with an exceptionally high yield. BTW, his most published photograph is the one of the Hindenburg explosion and fire at Lakehurst, New Jersey. While it is singularly spectacular, its fame overshadows his magnificent sports photography.

Can anyone suggest some references for 'advanced' sports photography?

I would be interested in this also.

-- John