RE: [OM] OT: now wait just a moment

Subject: RE: [OM] OT: now wait just a moment
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 21:35:04 -0600
We used to have a gag t-shirt available for purchase in Iowa City. It had the University of Iowa logo on it and underneath: "The University of Iowa, Idaho City, Ohio." (So close, Larry!)

Speaking of Idaho: the UI campus rag, The Daily Iowan, once spoofed the state's premier newspaper, the Des Moines Register, which sponsors RAGBRAI (aka, the "Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa"). This annual August event is pretty well-known among cyclists, as enthusiastic on-road bikers await the route that is published each spring from some point on the Missouri R. to another on the Mississippi. It's different every year. The 5-day, often 400+ mile route begins with a 50-75mile ride the first day and works up to a 100+ day on the third and then trails off again on the fifth day.

The Daily Iowan's lampoon was a "Great Bike Ride across Idaho" with a published map showing a route traversing the narrowest east-west spot in the panhandle.

Ob-OM content: burned my first roll of Kodachrome in 5 years yesterday. We had a magical, faerie sort of frosting to the trees. Very rare and gorgeous. I drove all over Johnson county and finished the roll at sunset. Didn't see a stock of corn anywhere.

Joel W.