[OM] Anybody have a 28mm?

Subject: [OM] Anybody have a 28mm?
From: nrky@xxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 22:25:53 -0600
Hi Josh,

IMO, get a 35/2.8 since you state you want to do people (I had -still
have-
one that I used for a few years exclusively before the "Z's" started...)
Take
G. up on his very generous offer of the 50/1.8.  Get a good 2X if you can
and
that will give you plenty to work with at least until spring/summer when
you
will realize you need to get wider (24/2.8 comes to mind now) or closer
(then
it's a 100/2.8) (Zuikoholism is definately gonna raise it's silver-nosed
head
on this poor boy)

35,50,70,100 with just 2 lenses and the 2X (extremely small kit)
When you've played with the 35 and the 50 plus the 2X for a while, you'll
know
whether you "need" to go wider or into the zoom area.

Myself? I skipped the 28 and went to 24...there's a mathematical rule<SP?
somewhere that says something about multiplying the FL by 1.4 (hence the
famous 1.4 converter) to get to the next "usable" FL...inverting that
gets you
.714. So, since I have a 35, the next step would be 24... going the other
way,
since I have a 50, the next logical step would be a 70. But! since I have
35 and a 2X, that's covered...next step would be the 100 (50+ the 2X)

You have a lot of film to burn playing with just those combinations, and
little outlay of cash.  The 35 is a "sleeper" as far as I can tell from
the
list, and I've been lurking here long enough to see Doris "The Fang" quit
twice...this last time seems to be for keeps though >;(

Anyway, someone once said "If  you want to go wide, then go WIDE."
I can only afford to go 24 wide...and I still have a lot of pix to take
with it.
All scenics (probably>;) ).  35 will get you a taste of wide, and used
judiciously will do people pleasingly as well...it's my 'lens d'jour' for

family gatherings etc., as well as the 100/2.8 when I'm stalking head and
shoulder shots from the same group.

Bill  >; P
(Owner of only "crappy" Zuiks, no stellars, and still takes pix)
"Life unfolds on a great sheet called Time (film)*,
and once finished (developed)* is gone(here)* forever..."
*provided ya have a good archival system in place.

Hello Everyone,

    What would be better for me, a 24mm, 28mm or 35mm?  I am going to be
in
the bush quite a bit, but I also imagine I'll do other things eg. people.
know the 24 has some distortion but is the (I dont know the real term)
angle
of view that much more than the 28?  I would like to try and stay away
from
zooms.  Maybe I should get a 24 and 35?  Also, is there a BIG difference
between f/2.8 and f/2? I know its whole stop but is it that important to
have it?

   Thanks,

             JOSH