[OM] wide open spaces

Subject: [OM] wide open spaces
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 09:25:23 -0600
"Flat" you find more rarely than you would think when you start to examine
it, and "featureless" is not the word I would use, since there wouldn't be
any point in photographing what is featureless, but I certainly agree with
you other than the choice of words.  Where the dimensions are high rather
than deep as they often are in the American West, the wides are really
useful.  Shooting in Iowa there have been whole sessions in which I never
mounted a lens other than the 85-250/5.

That could be me though. I try to use the longest lens I can wherever I am.

Joel W.

When painters come here, they always begin by painting landscapes of the
wide open spaces, but usually get over it. If you have the opportunity,
check out work by the painter Keith Jacobshagsen. I think he's at a school
in Nebraska now, but many museum have his work. the son of a highly skilled
photographer, Keith currently paints panoramic landscapes of Nebraska (much
flatter that Kansas). They are quite small, usually about 10-12 inches
across and a few inches high. If you get your nose about an inch from the
painting, it's remarkable, almost like a circuit camera.

Bill Pearce