Re: [OM] Need advice on shooting portraits -- multiple T32s or Tungsten

Subject: Re: [OM] Need advice on shooting portraits -- multiple T32s or Tungsten w/Softboxes?
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 14:59:50 -0800
Snip
===I have an OM-1n and OM-2n with the Bounce Grip-2, a couple of T32
flashes, and 3 or 4 TTL cords, TTL multi-connector etc. I also have a couple
of Photoflex
Litedisc reflectors.
I've done a little experimenting with very limited success, and I've come to
absolutely hate calculating GN numbers, distances, etc. Is it realistic to
use
2 or 3 of the T32's with Neutral Density filters and/or bounced into a
reflector and relying on the OM-2n's OTF to get good results?===

Hot lights are hot!
You will probably be sick of them in short order.
I would use them all the time except for the HEAT and fire hazard!

Don't use guide numbers in the studio.  Use a flash meter.
Yes it is realistic to use a OM2 on auto as long as the background
and the subject are neutral enough.  Experiment.

Snip
===instead of lots and lots of
bracketing followed up by impatiently waiting for the E-6 to get processed
see if I actually guessed right.===

I would use print film and 1 hour processing for tests.
I prefer print film for portraits anyway.  With a meter no bracketing is
needed.

When I first started practicing portraits I needed a kit that had modeling
lights
and some controls.  I got 2 Studiomate mono heads for about $100 each and a
fill/accent light for about $50.  A few cheap light stands, 2 - 32"
umbrellas and an extension cord.  1- folding stool from Target, an
inexpensive B'ground stand which you could make, some B'ground paper and a
used Wein light meter for $35.
This all goes with a OM1 and a 85mm f 2 Zuiko.  I do use a winder and a
release cable.
I never expected to be working with this set up 8 years later and making
money from it, but I am.
I think Studiomate is discontinued but they were made by Briteck and I
believe they are still selling these entry level kits.

Good Luck,
Charlie