Re: [OM] The Great Bokeh Debate [was] olympus-digest V2 #3112

Subject: Re: [OM] The Great Bokeh Debate [was] olympus-digest V2 #3112
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 20:29:18 +0000
At 18:57 2/4/02, Tris Schuler wrote:

I took my college class with a Kodak Instamatic. The professor took one look at that equipment and pronounced in no uncertain terms I would receive no higher grade than a C, and this assumed I would do everything else perfectly. Sure enough, he gave me a C at the end, which was, by the way, the lowest grade I ever got in college. My final photograph was better than okay, though, and this teacher admitted as much--albeit grudgingly. <g>

There's no explaining judgement and critiques in the Fine Arts, graphic or performing. If under a teacher or professor, or your the work is being juried you're at the complete mercy of the individual(s) who pass judgement. At times it can be blatant egotistical, self-serving snobbery. Learned many, many years ago in performing arts not to take any of it personally. Unfortunately in your case it also affected a GPA. Does sound as if you won a minor moral victory even if it wasn't enough to change the grade.

Critiques are what they are; sometimes arbitrary and capricious. If constructive toward achieving perfection in what is "visualized" they're helpful. If not, especially if they're an imposition of someone else's (a juror's) "vision" and "style," they should be noted and discarded. The most famous artists successfully create and communicate their own unique style. Those that copy them, while they may be excellent in their own right, remain Art History footnotes.

Other things being equal, superior equipment must count. But first the photographer needs to get that far through other means.

Equipment provides capabilities, flexibility and alternatives. You're dead on: the photographer must know how to exploit these to achieve what is "visualized." Some day I hope to be as good as my father was; he shot Kodachrome using an Argus C3 "brick." I look back through the archive of his Kodachromes with amazement at what he was able to do with it.

-- John