Re: [OM] Spot on negs?

Subject: Re: [OM] Spot on negs?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 09:13:33 -0700
At 06:52 AM 05/02/2002 +0000, Chris Barker wrote:
>Hello all, I wonder if anyone can point me towards a possible solution.  I
>finally persuaded my wife to pose for me for portraits (practice for me and on
>condition that I did not print anything that she did not approve...).
>Unfortunately, I managed to make a mess of putting my 120 film into a recently
>acquired developing tank... but my 35mm roll taken with OM2SP and 85/2 worked
>fine in the Barker dev process - except that when I came to do some
>preliminary scans I noticed many, many small white dots on the image; they're
>useless.
>
>Is this likely to be dust from a new dev tank (a different one from the one
>that jammed with my 120 inside)  or have I made an error with my timings?

It may also be on the negs themselves, in which case re-washing and re-drying
won't help.  I've seen this before with tiny air bubbles that adhere to the
film during development, preventing small areas from coming into contact with
developer.  The usual trick is to shake, invert or rap the developing tank
sharply after pouring in the developer -- some people also "pre-wet" their film
with water (usually distilled) before development.

This problem is annoying.  Hopefully, it's just adhered dust, in which case you
can simply do the re-washing/re-drying (it stands to reason that the re-washing
need only be long enough to wet the film thoroughly and wash the dust off).

Good luck, guy.

Garth