RE: [OM] Ringflash photos of models

Subject: RE: [OM] Ringflash photos of models
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 10:19:19 -0800 (PST)
> Hey... if the best man couldn't find the ring, ...  the
> possibilities are
> almost limitless.

Actually, the more I think of it, it might be a great accessory
for the "rings" shot.

One of my favorite lighting techniques for senior pictures
(female, studio shots), is to setup a single strobe into my big
umbrella and position myself (and the camera) right in front of
it.  The fact that I'm blocking the bottom part of the umbrella
means that there will be just enough lighting texture to keep
things three-dimensional.

I don't have enough studio strobes for this right now, but one
technique is to use three or four softboxes (or umbrellas)
positioned around the camera.  Vary the power output of each
individual strobe to create that balance of "ring lighting" and
more classical lighting.

I'm also a fan of hair lights (non-diffused strobe behind the
subject aimed downward at the hair and towards the camera--use
gobos to prevent flare), and background strobes.

My last portrait session, I experimented with using on-camera
flash set to a very low level and the studio strobes in
umbrellas doing the major lighting.  Worked very well.  Added a
nice sparkle to the eyes without casting edged shadows.  Best
benefit was that I could work untethered as I put the studio
strobes in "slave" mode.

I really need more strobes.