Re: [OM] The Great Bokeh Debate [was] olympus-digest V2 #3112

Subject: Re: [OM] The Great Bokeh Debate [was] olympus-digest V2 #3112
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 18:06:37 -0500
On Tuesday, February 05, 2002 at 14:18, Tris Schuler
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "Re: [OM] The Great Bokeh Debate [was] olympus-dig" saying:

> You know, I read a piece by you a couple weeks ago, John, where you
> described your father simply "eyeballing" a scene for exposure and it
> really hit home. My dad wasn't into photography, hunting was his thing, and
> to cut a long story short I never could develop his dead eye or passion for
> stalking animals

If you constantly guess the exposure & then check the light meter, you'll
end up within a stop. I did. At Ryerson, I surprised (& annoyed) my photo
teacher by estimating the exposure within a 1/2 stop.

> >>Other things being equal, superior equipment must count. But first the
> >>photographer needs to get that far through other means.
> >
> >Equipment provides capabilities, flexibility and alternatives.  You're dead
> >on:  the photographer must know how to exploit these to achieve what is
> >"visualized."  Some day I hope to be as good as my father was; he shot
> >Kodachrome using an Argus C3 "brick."  I look back through the archive of
> >his Kodachromes with amazement at what he was able to do with it.

That C3 was reliable and sturdy, and had better focus accuracy than any OM
with a 50mm or less lens. And that Kodachrome was sharper than the 400's
available now. On 950f pictures, it's just as capable. On the other 5%,
an SLR or a sharper/wider/longer lens would help.

It's the equipment between the ears which counts.

tOM
--------------- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Olympus-Documentation
tOM Trottier,   ICQ:57647974    http://abacurial.com
        758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115 N45.412 W75.714
"The moment one gives close attention to anything,
even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious,
awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself --
Henry Miller, 1891-1980