Re: [OM] Spot on negs?

Subject: Re: [OM] Spot on negs?
From: Vaughan Bromfield <vaughan.bromfield@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 11:00:00 +1100
Chris

Did you agitate using inversion (turning the tank upside down) or did it
come with t little handle that you use to twirl the film? Throw the
handle away and use inversion aggitation. Twirling causes all sorts of
problems not least is uneven development because the film at the outside
gets more movement than the inside.'

Don't follow the tank's instructions, follow those of the film manufacturer.

If you are new to the developing caper, take these tips:

1) initially, use the same brand chemistry as the film (Ilford, Kodak)
2) get the instructions from the film/chemistry manufacturer
3) follow the instructions to the letter
4) use only distilled or deionised water for mixing chemicals
5) measure temperature carefully, calculate the correct developing time
6) make sure all chemicals and wash water are same temp or within a few degrees
7) dry the film by hanging it up in the shower after everybody has gone
to bed
8) check the film does not stick to anything ot itself, but don't touch
it until morning
9) try ti minimise the film's "wet" time by planing ahead and working carefully.

There are a lot of things that *can* go wrong, but most don;t.

Vaughan

--

> Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 14:57:20 +0000
> From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] Spot on negs?
>
> Thanks for the suggestion John H and Joel.  I did agitate and rap the
> tank, following the instructions that came with the tank (It's a new
> Paterson which I have not used before).  I reckon I have dust on the
> negs and I'll see what they look like after I have washed them again.
>
> I have not had this before...
>
> Cheers
>
> Chris
>
> At 07:51 -0600 5/2/02, Joel Wilcox wrote:
> >>

> >This is negative, right?  Could the film have lay upon itself and
> >trapped bubbles?  Did you rap the tank on the table after the first
> >agitation to jog the bubbles off the film?
> >
> >I *think* bubbles could create white spots when positivized by the
> >scanner, but I would think they might be more like translucent rings
> >or mottling.  If they are like bright white chunks of debris, I'd
> >think it's some sort of contamination after the development process,
> >i.e., dust.
> >
> >Joel W.

This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, use,
disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments. If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete
this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual
sender, except where the sender expressly, and with authority, states them to
be the views the University of Technology Sydney. Before opening any
attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.
CRICOS Number:  00099F