RE: [OM] L-5 and the missing L-4

Subject: RE: [OM] L-5 and the missing L-4
From: Larry Woods <lmwoods@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 21:46:06 -0500
>> I thought Olympus was going to quit all film SLRs after they
>> discontinued all the OMs and Ls and Centurions, but today they
>> announced a new L (IS) type camera.

>So what happened to the L-4 (IS-4, IS-40, IS-400, IS-4000 ?), anyone from
>Wyoming like to check out the wheely bins for evidence ?

This may be the stuff of urban legends, like the one about the Chevy
Nova not selling in South America because "Nova" is supposed to mean
"doesn't go" but I have heard that the number 4 is unlucky in Japan,
something like a 13 in western culture.

I recall a discussion about Pentax calling its first TTL meter camera
the Spotmatic because the previous cameras had been the S1, S2 and S3
and they didn't want to make an S4.   Of course, if there was any
truth in this, why would Olympus have called its last SLR the OM-4?