RE: [OM] Irony of discontinuing of the OM series 2

Subject: RE: [OM] Irony of discontinuing of the OM series 2
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 21:56:27 -0500
On Sunday, February 03, 2002 at 13:48, Joe Gwinn <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "RE: [OM] Irony of discontinuing of " saying:

> >From: dolphans1@xxxxxxx
> >
> >Well Allan, I guess thatís where we'll agree to disagree
> >on. I feel a corporation does owe its "loyal" customers
> >an obligation to support its product.
> >
> >Do you not feel that if you purchase a product, you
> >should be able to service it within a "life time"? ( I
> >know, what is considered a lifetime?)
>
> I must say that I don't feel that Olympus has abandoned me.  They supported
> the OM line for thirty years.  How many manufacturers (of anything, not just
> cameras) can even come close to that kind of a record?  One can count them
> on the fingers; toes not likely required.

And who sends free user manuals?
> Olympus could sell their residual parts supply for a song, and get most of
> the tax benefit, I suspect, because they are now getting out of the OM
> business forever, a one time event.

There are many shops providing old car parts and making a living for
decades via ads in magazines. With the internet it should be even easier to
find them.

How about someone rich dude buying out the Olympus OM leftovers and making
them available on the internet? Volunteers?

tOM
--------------- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Olympus-Documentation
tOM Trottier,   ICQ:57647974    http://abacurial.com
        758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115 N45.412 W75.714
"The moment one gives close attention to anything,
even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious,
awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself --
Henry Miller, 1891-1980