Re: [OM] L-5 and the missing L-4

Subject: Re: [OM] L-5 and the missing L-4
From: "k.matsumoto" <matsumoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 12:35:11 +0900
> >So what happened to the L-4 (IS-4, IS-40, IS-400, IS-4000 ?), anyone from
> >Wyoming like to check out the wheely bins for evidence ?
>
> This may be the stuff of urban legends, like the one about the Chevy
> Nova not selling in South America because "Nova" is supposed to mean
> "doesn't go" but I have heard that the number 4 is unlucky in Japan,
> something like a 13 in western culture.

When you pronounce "4" as "shi" in Japanese it's identical with the
word "death" so in some rare cases (e.g. hospital room No.s) 4 is
skipped, but none of us will mind when used in a camera designation.

Many people in Japan were also wondering what happened to L-4, but I
think 5 in L-5 comes from its x5 zoom lens...