Re: [OM] HELP!!... Lost Files

Subject: Re: [OM] HELP!!... Lost Files
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 07:38:57 -0500
On Sunday, February 03, 2002 at 15:32, Bolty <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "[OM] HELP!!... Lost Files" saying:

> I accidentally deleted some photo files. The program I was using didn't send
> them to the recycle bin but straight out of memory.

Sent them where? If to printer, you're probably SOL, if to email, ask the
receiver.

If to the printer only, check any *.tmp or ~*.* files on your computer in
the program or data directory. Try copying them to a new directory & change
the extension to .JPG & see if they load...

You could also search the swap file (& the whole disk) with a byte editor,
but if you're asking, you don't know what to look for.

> Is there any way possible of retrieving these photos. These were images
> from a digital camera which have already been deleted from the cameras
> memory card. Can anyone help please! Thanks Adam

Most cameras use a FAT system with the memory formatted like DOS would
format a disk. You could try using Norton Utilities, or the DOS 5 or later
"Undelete" on the memory card & see if anything remains.

"UNDELETE [[drive:][path]filename] | /ALL]
Attempts to undelete files. /ALL attempts to recover all the files without
prompting the user. If a delete tracking file exists, the files are
recovered with their previous name. Otherwise files are recovered using the
first character from the string "#%&-0...9A...Z" that makes the filename
unique."

See http://www.google.ca/search?q=dos+undelete
for more info