Re: [OM] OT Old cameras and older codgers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Old cameras and older codgers
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 09:42:47 -0500
Mike,

I don't find the cost of film and processing to be much of
problem.  I usually buy film a bunch at a time from B&H and store
it in the fridge, much to my wife's displeasure when the vegetable
bin hasn't room for her broccoli.  For instance, Provia F-100 is
$4.49 per 36 exposures and $2.99 per 120 roll.  Processing by A&I
is $5.49 for either and is pretty much the same as 35mm
elsewhere.  Of course, that?s only 12 6x6, 10 6x7 or 8 6x9
pictures per roll.

I find I shoot an average of two 35mm 36-exp. rolls for every roll
of 120.  You might shoot more with a Hassy because it's not as
fiddly and time-consuming as, for instance, a Crown or Century
Graphic, which I also use, or even an XL or the like.  Of course,
I have a well-to-do cousin who lives across the DMZ over in
Huntsville, Alabamastan, who rides his Hasselblads and Nikons
around in a Porsche Carrera or a Range Rover, and he goes through
rolls of 220 like I go through 35mm. But my 6x9 trannies are
bigger than his 6x6's, and size does count when you?re blowing up
to 18x24!

The biggest drawback to medium format is the lack of a really good
affordable scanner.  I keep hoping one will come along soon.

I don't think you can go far wrong with Hasselblad, and what
you've described sounds like a good deal.  If you do get it, just
please keep quiet about it.  I will be envious.  :-)

Walt Wayman