Re: [OM] [OT] Kodak's Professional "Metallic" Paper: WOW

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Kodak's Professional "Metallic" Paper: WOW
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 13:35:04 +0000
At 04:30 2/6/02, Tris wrote:

Nice shot, John, as is all of your work. The MF helps a lot, of course, with minute detail in mind.

Thanks . . . yes, that combined with the slower film. When I got the proofs back from the first one, which was more "goofing around" in a friend's studio than anything else, first thing I did was kick myself for using ASA 400! [had about 1/3 roll left in a body from some New Year's Eve night street shooting and finished it off]

I recently (over the holidays) took the following picture with my puny OM-4Ti and while it isn't obvious from this JPEG I tell you that the same sort of detail within the individual offices comes out in fairly clear manner. At that, this image was taken with my Zuiko 85-250mm, yet more testimony to the overall quality of our beloved gear.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=496203&size=lg

I wouldn't call the OM-4Ti puny (compact!). Nice shot, shows good detail in the web image, and looks well exposed giving you good options with levels of print density. I like how you used the tele-zoom. It has an "in your face" flattening of depth effect that celebrates the density of San Francisco's high-rise area (they're not skyscrapers, they're vertical streets).

Didn't realize how many of the Zuiko zooms have 8 aperture blades (looked it up; about half including the one you used; the rest have 6). Also speaks well of lens design. Take a look at some of the current Can*n EOS zoom specs some time; some of them have only 3 aperture blades!!

-- John