[OM] Re: David Vestal and "Seeing the Photo"

Subject: [OM] Re: David Vestal and "Seeing the Photo"
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 15:55:27 -0800
It seems to me that our more automated cameras may enhance the process of producing fine photos. Stay with me on this (g). If one is shooting a fluid scene, sports, children, any action; the more automated AF, Program mode cameras in the hands of a photographer who knows how to use them would free the photographer up to compose and shoot better photos.

I wager that most of us who have OM-2 and OM-4, etc. use the auto mode more than manual. We can control depth of field and aperture while being cognizant of the shutter speed that results from a given aperture setting. Thus, little if any math or detailed thought process regarding aperture and shutter speed gets in the way of the "creative process".

In the time I have had my OM-4t I may have used the manual mode twice. I find the auto mode to be easier and it does free me up to "get the shot." This is especially true with children who are elusive as heck.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave Dougherty

I admit I use my OM4T in auto mode most of the time too. However, I use it mostly with the spot meter which requires the most judgment in setting the exposure. The OM4T is a long way from an automated camera as exemplified by most cameras today. I have never felt comfortable with the manual meter display or the operation of the shutter speed ring on the OM4T which may be why I prefer automatic. I have been known to point, focus and press the shutter, but I really do not feel in control when I do that. I feel like less of a photographer and only do it when it is the only alternative for a grab at some kind of image.

My previous experience was many years with a manual camera which I used mostly in shutter speed preferred mode. A few years after I got my OM4T I got an OM1N and using it was a revelation in ease for me both in instantly understanding the display and its mechanical handling. The improvement over the OM4T in manual was amazing. It is a delight to use.

I have used modern automatic cameras a little, recently, and I do not find them to be easy to use - nothing instinctive or quick about an LCD menu. It is not just what I am used to either. If you take a look at the steps you are going through to achieve the same end an automatic camera is much more cumbersome to use. You know, "They were setting their modes while I took my picture and walked back to the car." And if you take the time to set it up in advance for the kind of shooting you are going to do, you can do the same thing with a manual camera in much less time and without waiting for the camera to make last minute adjustments - dreaded shutter lag.

As far as spontaneous pictures are concerned that type of photo was essentially created by Leica users with manual focus, rangefinder fields, multiple frame lines in the viewfinder and, at best, only a small meter mated to the shutter speed dial. Seeing the picture happens in your head and you can confirm it through all kinds of junk in the viewfinder. Sometimes I suspect only a strong picture will make it through a busy viewfinder and your quality level will improve. Of course people had few lenses then and fewer cameras and they really got to know how to use their equipment.

Well, I went a little far afield from what you were talking about.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California