Re: [OM] Students...

Subject: Re: [OM] Students...
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 19:05:33 -0800
Although I already knew more than most of my classmates, what with
me being the proud owner of a Yashica 44 twin-lens reflex, the
first day in Journalism 411, the introduction to photography at
the University of Tennessee School of Journalism back in the dark
ages of my callow youth, the fabulous fifties, each student was
assigned a 4x5 Speed Graphic and two film holders.  We went from
there.  Is that what's wrong with me?  Don't answer that.

Walt Wayman

Probably. Oh, sorry. You said not to answer that.

I think you got the right start. I wish I had done something similar. I really think photography is a craft which can occasionally rise to the level of art as can other crafts. Implicit in the definition of a craft is that there are skills and knowledge involved. If you teach a class about photography, then you teach about how cameras and film work as well. Which is why this list talks as much about equipment as it does about photography. There would have been no art by Ansel Adams without the craft of exposure, creation of a zone system, understanding of materials and chemistry and effects of light.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?