[OM] Re: Students

Subject: [OM] Re: Students
From: DAVDOU9211@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 00:09:05 EST
Visualization and "Seeing" the picture is, to me, what photography is all
about.  I work hard to "See" the possibilities in a scene.  Only in recent
times have I begun to understand that I have to look at light and then
manipulate the camera to record as close as possible what I see; to anticipate
the situation and have the camera set to record it.

I enjoy looking at Ansel Adam's photographs.  That he was a master is
undisputed.  Studying the work of masters causes an osmosis or absorption of
their abilities at times.  One of the most important lessons I have learned has
nothing to do with photography and yet everything to do with it, ie.
"patience".  MF and LF slow one down.  But I am slowly learning to slow down
and think about what the lens will see, the light, and how to compose the photo
using 35mm or digital.

Finally, it seems that one needs to get out there and shoot alot of film over
time.  The results are much better now, 2 years after I started down this OM
path.  It's really instructive to go back and look at results when I started.
Those on the list with many years more experience are fortunate.

Dave Dougherty