RE: [OM] Test & introduction

Subject: RE: [OM] Test & introduction
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 12:48:53 +0000

2: Enthusiasts/Ametures-
[snip]
Caring about both the picture but also the camera are important (in varying proportions of course) to this group.
[snip]

Most professionals and non-pro "artists" do care about the camera body and even more about lens(es), but not much about brand. It's about performance and ability to create the visualized (desired) photographs with it.

3: Artist/Photographer- A small category of which Ansel Adams represents the ideal in most cases.
[snip]

Glad you at least said "most." Adams has his detractors also (I'm not necessarily one of them). For them, they can fill in the name of their ideal photographer (Cartier-Bresson, W. E. Smith, Steiglitz, Strand, Capa, etc.). Anyway, it's the idea that counts. :-)

I feel that it's alright to be a camera buff just so long as you don't lose sight of the purpose of what all this stuff is supposed to be used for. If that happens your on the road to collecting shrinkwrapped Leicas that commemorate everthing from the 10,000th changing of the guard in front of Buckingham palace to the first word of the Nigerian PM daughter (one of
only 50 made!). ;)

We do need some "museum curators" to save a few examples for future generations to appreciate the "hard work" we had to do in making photographs.

If it weren't so sad I'd find amusing the "status symbol, image conscious" who believe the camera makes the photograph and merely needs a shutter release operator to hold it, as exemplified here:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/tips.html

If they only knew the image they're after is exemplified here:
  http://www.cameraquest.com/imagecon.htm
[yes, a Nik*n, but it's the point that counts; I could do the same with an OM]

-- John