Re: [OM] XA questions

Subject: Re: [OM] XA questions
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 13:38:58 -0800
Robert R. Gries wrote:

I have been looking for a good pocket camera, and hear quite a bit of
conversation about the XA.  I have seen one in a shop, and it does seem
quite nice.  I particularly like the manual focus, but at 0.85m min.
focus, isn't that a bit distant?

I understand that the lens is rather sharp - any reactions?  I wouldn't
mind getting a Rollei, but maybe that is a bit too old-fashioned for me.
What about the Minox?  Any experience?

Flash might become an issue in the future, but I am looking for the
basic RF that I can hand hold for long exposures.  Of the different
flashes, which one is the best? A16? A11?  Are other cameras better
because they have a hot shoe?

So many questions, so few lines...

Bob Gries

-------
There was a lot of discussion about this a few weeks ago. Overall feeling/experience for the XA was very positive.

"The little XA is REALLY something else. Quite a revelation, to me at least. I have a mint Rollei 35, but this blows the socks off it. I had a 35S, but sold it as it seemed like a lemon. But this XA !!" Brian Swale

"I think the XA is a wonderful camera. I have owned one since they first came
out. It
is often hard to tell if a photo was taken with the XA or the OMs. I rarely use
the
flash, and like the fact that I don't have to carry one if I am not going to be
using it. I have used mine as both a backup and a lightweight climbing camera. I
often choose to take it with me climbing instead of an OM with a 35mm lens.

A word on the light falloff on the corners, don't let this hold you back from
purchasing an XA. Most oif the time it is a total non-issue. If you shoot print
film
you may well never notice it! If you shoots slides (as I do most of the time)
in
the mountains with lots of sky in the composition, it will be noticible, but
rarely
offensive. It is similar to the results you often get with a polarizer and a WA
lens. Pick one up, and try it out. If you don't like it you can always sell it.
think it is one of the best two compact cameras in the world,  of any kind!
(BTW,
the other is the Rollei 35-S for those who are wondering.)

As for photo quality, I have routinly enlarged my XA photos to over 11x14 with
great
results. With good film the XA is capable of stunning results.

For those who would like some idea of the XAs capabilities, here are some
photos I
posted a year or so ago. Scans are not great, and the page is slow to load, but
it
does give you a good feel for the camera.  (BTW these were shot with print film)
http://home.earthlink.net/~spknsprkt/wsnC26F.html  The bottom photo, "Climber on
Black Peak" was enlarged to 8x12, mounted and framed and presented to my
brother for
Christmas this year.  You can see the light falloff on the RH side. This was
easily
fixed during printing and is not noticible in the final print."

Jim Couch

My experience agrees with Jim's. There is a lot more discussion in the Digests. Rollei and Minox do not have rangefinders and both require extending the lens from the body before taking a picture. The XA has an excellent rangefinder and a fixed lens with a sliding integral cover for lens, rangefinder, etc. The A11 flash works fine for the usual indoor shots of people, etc. It's seamless integration with the camera when attached is really nice.

Moose