Re: [OM] 50mm f1.4s (wasTest & introduction)

Subject: Re: [OM] 50mm f1.4s (wasTest & introduction)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 00:34:06 +0000
At 03:25 2/9/02, you wrote:
Just to keep things straight, a quote from Tom Scales in response to my question about a 50/1.4 that he was selling:

"Yes, they did change the formula, but oddly they did it right before they
dropped the MC.  Those of us on the OM Mailing list have really tried to
figure out the exact break point, but it looks to be right at 1,085,000 or
so.  A little below the 1,1 mark."

Thus, the latest, best version doesn't start at 1,000,000, but a little higher.

Moose

Wayne Shumaker wrote:
Agree, the 50/1.2 is a different lens altogether. I also think the
50/1.4 SN<1,000,000 is quite different than the 50/1.4 SN>1,000,000.
Perhaps we are splitting hairs. I will have to try them all out on
suitable subjects. Now I have a project for myself. I would even opt
for another 50mm ADITL shoot.

The middle S/N of the three I have S/N 1,055,### with "Zuiko MC" on the lens ring. It has the newer coating formulation and is easily distinguished in coating appearance from the lowest S/N one. As yet I've been unable to differentiate between its performance and the highest S/N example (1,112,### marked "Zuiko" [*no* MC]), but can differentiate its performance compared to the lowest S/N one with obvious coating differences (S/N 789,###). It requires projection of "slow chromes" on a large 50 inch matte screen using a Schneider lens though. The difference is subtle; IMO not measurable unless using great enlargement to view lens MTF limits (which begin to converge with film MTF limits).

I don't worry about it, even when making 11x14 "exhibition grade" prints. I was much more worried about film granularity with the newest 11x14 made from Portra 400 NC than I was about lens MTF. That one was made using the 85/2 but it is indicative that one needs to be using the slow films also; the faster films have a much greater effect in large print resolution than any of these lenses do. [Note: there is a subtle visual effect of resolution that can be seen in A/B comparison before the causes for lack of it can be seen and determined; it just "looks" sharper.]

I would grade all three lenses the same condition: EX+ by KEH standards (including perfect glass).

-- John