[OM] This list is great...some thoughts after my first week...

Subject: [OM] This list is great...some thoughts after my first week...
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 22:20:24 -0800
Cc: Scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Well fellow Zuiks and Zuikettes, I've been on the list for a week now, and I must say that it has already proven to be a valuable resource for me. I've gotten some very nice emails from local (Bay Area) OM users wishing me welcome.

My query/problem about locating a 300 mm f4.5 Zuiko telephoto was immediately solved by C.H. Ling....I'm buying his! Replying to the same post, Bill Barber turned me on to his Tamron 70-350 Zoom that will be invaluable for motorsports photography (I'm buying that one, too, in a fit of Zuikoholism!). I must say that buying stuff from the listmembers is much nicer than from e(vil)Bay....you not only get help in finding what you want, but you get to meet some really nice folks in the process!

Mike Veglia and I have been having a nice email correspondence off-line about race photography...he has been an invaluable resource of experience and information for me already. I'm looking forward to meeting up with him at the Indy Car sneak preview at Laguna Seca this weekend!

Originally posted by Mike Veglia:

But, I also believe Olympus is truly an innovative leader in
digital photography, and I do think that for OM users the E-10 or E-20
make excellent "wait and see" bridge cameras to supplement shooting film
with our OMs.

My $0.02 on the digital discussion. I certainly don't expect that my C4040Z will supplant my use of my OM-1s (in fact, it has increased my interest in using them again!), but rather enhance my flexibility and capabilities. Digital is here to stay and will become more and more of a technology that will supplant the use of film in many photographic applications. For example, I don't see much of a future for using film for capturing images that will only end up being halftoned for general magazine photography publication. I view digitals as an adjunct to film photography, just I view a socket set as an adjunct to a set of wrenches. I know this differs from Phil Greenspun's (not very postive) view of digital photography. I can certainly see where it makes sense for a lot of the photography Mike Veglia does.

I know there's been a lot of discussion about the E10 and E20 and even the C4040Z. All I can say is I love my digital, and having played around with an E20 at MacWorld for a considerable period of time, I can safely say that despite their limitations, I would really love to have to an E10 or E20. Some of the 11X14 images I saw printed on an Epson 1280 from an E20 were just extraordinary in their quality.

-Stephen.

--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!