Re: [OM] Winder and MD survery

Subject: Re: [OM] Winder and MD survery
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 08:12:46 -0500
Cc: adisoon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've got all of the motors, W1, W2, MD1, MD2. So I've got some experience. Let me throw down the gauntlet first.... I really have never liked the winders. I find them too noisy and a bit harsh in their shutter release sound. That said, they ARE nice and light. (BTW, I just sold both.) As for the Motor Drives, the MD2 is definitely smoother with it's counter-rotating motors. It also has the first-frame advance, better grip, exposure limiter, and rewind. But it's hard to beat the ultra-light MD1 for functionality. You should try a MD1 and the OM-System Remote Cord, sticking the powerpack in a pocket. NOw that's light.

My favorite? The MD1, even though the MD2 is a better unit. I REALLY like the old MD1 with the big release button, but those are hard to find (I sold mine in the 80's :-(( ) If I'm going to shoot a lot, I carry the MD2 because it's smoother and has auto-advance and auto-rewind.

I use the Motors for sports, photojournalism, studio, and panorama shoots. They come off for more casual, family, or fun shooting. They come off the camera when not in use. I'll bet I use a motor for 500f my OM-System shooting.

My alternative is a VERY nice grip that I bought recently from http://www.photoequip.net/.

Skip