[OM] Fixing a Loose Focus Ring

Subject: [OM] Fixing a Loose Focus Ring
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 08:48:02 -0600
I picked up an attractive little 50/1.8 silvernose as a body cap in the purchase of a OM body from a former list member. The focus ring rubber was too loose to make the lens much fun to use. (Men laughed, women averted their eyes, children pointed.)

As a result I tried to glue it down with contact cement. I found this just doesn't work unless the ring is already pretty tight, but if it's that tight you don't really need to glue it. :/

I was prepared to cut the ring and trim off a rib about 1 mm thick and try gluing it again when I saw a post from John H. about glue tape. Luckily I found 3M Glue Tape #1096 in my local art store. This stuff comes on a roll just a little over 1 cm wide. It fits neatly into the recessed area in which rubber ring is ordinarily seated.

The nice thing about the glue tape is that I was able to wrap it around the focus ring twice. This laid down enough material to form a bond between the loosey-goosey rubber ring and the metal ring within. There's no way I could have used that much contact cement without making an oozy mess. The glue tape basically stays where you put it without spreading.

I was hoping to be able to show this lens to Ken Norton (AG Schnozz) and make him a little bit crazy. Now I'm not sure it will matter anymore as I think he will be changing his handle soon to "AG Bytes."

Apropos these discussions of the 50/1.4 -- I've had two and liked neither so well as the lowly 50/1.8. My serious one is a "made in Japan" version, which seems to be optimized for the smaller stops and I don't think there is a slow, fine grained film that can really keep up with it. But this little silvernose is very very pretty. (And if you're reading this Ken, you can play fast and easy among the heathen, but you'll come back to Zion sooner or later. <g> Fingers-crossed, candles lit, and incantations spoke for your promotion, etc.)

Joel W.