Re: [OM] Winder and MD survery

Subject: Re: [OM] Winder and MD survery
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 11:15:49 -0500

From: adi <adisoon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Sat, 09 Feb 2002 15:32:56 +0800

>After the shock with the Winder 2, I wish to conduct a small
>survery of Winder and MD usage on the list. Perhaps it will give
>us many insights.
>
>1. Who owns a Winder or MD?

Me.

>2. How often is it used?

Almost all the time.

>3. What is it used for?

Nearly everything.

>4. Is it stuck on an OM body permanently?

Just about.

I?ve got two Motor Drive 2s and three Winder 2s.  The motor drives
practically never come off the OM-4Ti and the OM-3.  The winders
come and go on the three OM-4s and the OM-1n.

A great accessory for a motor drive that I highly recommend is the
Olympus grip strap.  I have one on each motor drive, as well as on
both T-45 flashes.  (Plus, I'm hoarding one, never opened, because
they're getting hard to find.)   Properly adjusted, the strap is a
big help in both camera security and steadiness, and once you get
accustomed to it, you won't want to be without it.

The straps will also fit the Winder 2, assuming you haven't yet
filed off that annoying eyelet that digs into the palm of your
hand where the strap attaches.  But the other end attaches to the
neck strap lug on the camera, so you have to make a choice between
grip strap or neck strap, or figure a way to hook up both, and
with the grip strap, the winder and camera are always attached to
each other, so you have to detach the strap in order to go
winderless.  Not real a real smart design.

On the motor drives, both ends of the strap are attached to the
drive  itself, so there's no umbilical to hinder removal, assuming
you would ever want to.  Seems like I never do.  Also, there's no
interference with attaching a neck strap.  I use Tamrac straps
with quick-detach connectors so there's nothing flapping around
when the camera is on a tripod or shoulder pod.  The grip strap
never gets in the way of anything.

Walt Wayman