Re: [OM] PayPal Interest Charges

Subject: Re: [OM] PayPal Interest Charges
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 11:09:34 -0800
I've made about 60 PayPal payments over the last year, mostly for eBay and never paid anything for them. I use the option where they make an electronic withdrawal from my checking account, so I don't have to maintain a balance with them or use a credit card. They do use a credit card to cover themselves in the day or two between crediting the seller and receiving funds from my bank. It isn't an actual charge on the credit card, but some kind of short term hold against the credit limit. It's also been very convienient in the couple of cases where the seller has had to refund some money, they just electronically send it back with no fee. As a buyer, I've found it to be a perfect service, instant, trouble free and free. The bank transfer option may only be available in the US?

BidPay is slow and expensive. Buy a $10 item, pay for mail and BidPay and suddenly it's $20. Don't know about you folks, but at the POs here it's usually a minimum 20 minute wait to get to the window and often longer and parking is very difficult. It can turn into close to an hour trip just to buy a MO at a PO 5 minutes away! Not every time, but it has happened. BillPay, or eBay Payment, or whatever it's called now, has also worked fine for me as a buyer, but more sellers I've dealt with are on PayPal.

Moose

Frank van Lindert wrote:

BidPay is more expensive, in particular for small purchases. You can
only pay for auctions, and not make other payments.
CitiBank would not accept me because I don't live in the USA. I could
easily become a verified PayPal member though.
In particular for foreigners PayPal is a very good system, especially
when you keep a balance there so you won't need to pay from your
credit card account or make withdrawals too often. Those are the most
expensive things...