[OM] Flash Diffusers [was] what happened to e-sif?

Subject: [OM] Flash Diffusers [was] what happened to e-sif?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 19:42:29 +0000
At 19:18 2/9/02, I wrote:
At 22:51 2/9/02, Clendon Gibson wrote:

Related to this I was trying to find out about difuser
attachements for t-20s or t-32s. Are there such
things?

Thanks!

There are also after-market softboxes you can use on both.
[snip]

Ack . . . forgot to mention Home-Brew diffusers:

You can create one very, very easily. Numerous home-brewed versions have been described on the list in the past.

One of the simplest "field expedient" methods that used by pros, semi-pros and non-pros since the invention of the flash strobe is the **clean** white handkerchief tied around the strobe head (I cannot over emphasize the "clean" requirement). For most cotton or linen handkerchiefs, one layer will get you a little diffusion and two will create more. Obviously, the guide number of the flash goes down with light spreading and absorption as with any diffuser. Be careful that the excess handkerchief is not blocking the sensor window if you're using the flash in "Normal Auto" mode (the hole in the middle of the capital "O" in "Olympus" printed just below the flash tube).

I just looked and there's still a handkerchief folded up and tucked into a pocket of my oldest camera bag. It's the same one that's been there for over 20 years now (still *clean* too). Used to tie it around the T-20 all the time (now I use the T-32 with diffusion panel or Metz with soft box).

-- John