Re: [OM] FINALLY

Subject: Re: [OM] FINALLY
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 07:00:18 +0000
Hi Josh

You were brave enough to submit your photos for comment, so here goes
... please note that I could not necessarily have done what I suggest
:>) :

1.      All the photos have a good load of colour, and most of them
are composed pleasingly.  But it is difficult to see them in a
browser as you have left the files too big.  Most of us size the
image to 600 pixels on the long side (800 max) before uploading them.
You might have expected Photo.net to do that, but clearly they did
not.

2.      The bird shot is smashing, despite its being out of focus and
blurred.  It makes for a strange image which looks original in
concept.

3.      The dog is asleep; the light is too warm for his/her
colouring.  It's either normal room lighting or sunset lighting.

4.      The lake shot is my sort of shot, but you could do with
cropping the top and the bottom slightly - this would reduce the
empty space at the bottom and get rid of the stray branches at the
top.

5.      The leaves are good mix of colours.

6.      The pretty girl and dog is a lovely photo, but for the focus.
It would have been better if we could see the dog's face.

7.      Single flower:  this has an interesting colour cast, but I
would have tried to make the flower brighter or whiter if possible -
either in the photographing or in Photoshop.

Finally, one person on this List said that he always goes to full
size with an image to get rid of the dust and specks.  You could do
with using the same technique, as I have found that it is the easiest
way to find them.  I hate getting everything else sorted out, to find
that there are specks of dust in a single-colour area!

Well done.  I was not taking photos like yours at that age.  Well I
had a ghastly little Instamatic, not even the top of the range, and I
was trying low light shots without really understanding as much as
you do about film and lenses.

Cheers

Chris