[OM] Images on Photonet.

Subject: [OM] Images on Photonet.
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 22:03:51 +1300
Hi Josh,

Congratulations on getting your images up there. You don't know how lucky
you are to be doing this at your age, compared with people of another era,
who had to make do with 620  B&W film and contact prints.  But I guess you
don't want to hear all that stuff.

One of the things you will be finding out now is the effect on your photos, of
light of different qualities. Whether or not direct sunlight is a good thing or
not
for particular topics. If diffuse natural light, the effect of different
degrees of
cloud cover, and even the colour of the cloud. The effect of incandescent light
on daylight film.

For example, try taking shots such as your leaves photo, in sunlight as you
did, and under light bright cloud, and in morning light before the sun gets
above the horizon. With the leaves dry, and wet too, to add another
dimension. You'll need a tripod, of course.

You will be learning how to hold your camera steady - take the shot between
taking breaths, for example, especially if bracing one elbow against the
chest.. (Between heartbeats if you can <g>)

Of all your shots on the net just now, most of all I like the one of the arum
lily. There is a really excellent background that is neutral and at the same
time not boring. Composition is pretty good too and it is in focus where it
should be.

The bird shot is interesting even though a little blurred. Obviously a fast
action shot and it is interesting that the feathers are quite curved showing
that the bird had it in mind to get as far from you as fast as it could; pedal
the metal, so to speak.

I agree with the comments on image sizes. For example, my 12 inch monitor
is about 800 pixels wide and that's fine for me. The browser I use, Opera,
can manage larger images fine but to see the whole thing I have to scroll all
over the place or use the browser % resize option (10% to 1000%, to aid the
visually disabled).

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Brian Swale